Sunday, February 27, 2011

Getting old

I've been slightly bothered for a while about getting old.
There isn't a thing that I can do about it, but it is still disturbing.
The signs are all there - the wrinkles, the white hairs that I color, the aches and pains.
But when I am totally lost while listening to teenagers talk or am bored with their movies and books it's really brought home.
Here is an example.
A friend was really into the Twilight books.
So I agreed to read them. I'm not a vampire/werewolf fan, but she said they were the best books ever.
After two books I couldn't handle any more and gave them back. I'm a curious person so I asked her to tell me how it ended. But I have no interest in reading the last two books or watching the movies that keep coming out based on the series.
I felt silly and childish while reading them. I could have a child almost the age of the characters in the books.
It's like reliving the teenage years and I have no interest in doing this.

The book has two main male characters that the main female character is interested in.
I can tell immediately that I'm in a group of "younger" women when the talk turns to whether you are "Team Edward or Team Jacob.
Ick! The boredom. 
Thursday I was invited to a mom's group by a friend.
The talk turned to the Twilight Series and I was prepared to be bored out of my mind once again.
Then I heard a mom say "I'm Team Charlie". Now I'd read the first two books, but my "old" memory wasn't remembering any Charlie.

It was the dad of the main female character.
Apparently this mom has a teenager and watched the movie with her daughter so she would know what her daughter was into. She thought the dad was cute.
This made me feel even older. The dad is thought to be only a few years older than I am. 
The mom pulled up his picture on her phone. He is rather good looking. Certainly not like the two little boys that all of these women are drooling over.

Jon came to me the other day and asked me
"Is this a white hair or a blond one."
Seems he's turning "grey" as well.

This blog is a bit rambling, but has been on my mind for a while.
Do I mind getting old? Does it matter if I mind? =)
It's going to happen whether I mind or not.
After some thought - I don't mind.
I would rather have the body I had before my kids, but I wouldn't trade my kids for it.
I'd rather have the brown hair instead of grey. But I certainly don't want to go back to being a teenager.
I'd rather not have arthritis, but I don't want to return to my childhood either.
I love where I'm at right now.
I have a beautiful family and a wonderful life.
And I don't want to go back in time unless I can take everyone and all of my life experience with me.
So I'm happy being "old". 
I'll still color my hair and take pain meds for the arthritis.
I'll still roll my eyes at the Twilight Saga or
listen in confusion when the teenagers talk in the halls at church.
But I'll be happy, because I'm where I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment