Thursday, January 12, 2012

Bad News

How do you break bad news to someone?
Today I heard some really upsetting news from someone very close to me.
(They want to keep the info private for a while longer. I'm sure I'll be sharing details in the future.)
Their method of delivery was to wait until they were sure that the news was indeed bad and then tell me. The other way would have been to let me in on what was going on as each step progressed. Then we could find out together whether it was a terrifying scare or reality.

Right now I'm upset and scared. And I'll admit, I'm a little mad. How could they do this to me? Why didn't they tell me from the very beginning. I've spent the morning in tears and I could have been a bit better prepared if I'd known it was a possibility from the start.

I was at Coffee Girls when I got the call. The plus side is that my friends are the best in the world. They offered to watch Caitlin so I could leave if I needed to, they prayed for me and they asked me to keep them updated. In short, they care. And that is so comforting.
One of my friends pointed out that she might have done the same thing if in that situation. Why get everyone upset if it turns out to be nothing. Wait until it is for sure or not before sharing. And I guess, if in those shoes, I might actually do the same. But now that I'm on the other side I feel so differently. It's definitely something to think about if I ever have to break bad news to my family.

So while I can't fill you in on any details yet, please pray for a friend/family member who is going through a really rough time right now and could so use a miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment