Friday, May 14, 2010

Bucket List

I was reading in the Reader's Digest about a guy who was laid off from a job he'd put his life into. He was 54 and felt unconnected to his family since he'd spent most of life being a workaholic. So he spent the next year reconnecting and doing things that he'd always meant to do, but never had the time.
I know that at 33 years old I have quite a while before I feel the need to look back over my life and make a bucket list of things I want to do before I die. But sometimes I feel all alone, in a way, being a stay-at-home mom. I am not contributing to the financial aspects of life, I'm not a very good housekeeper (reality is - I suck at the Susie homemaker part of my job). I'm a good mom, but could definitely be better.
So what do I have to show for the life I've lived so far? I haven't been the cause of someone becoming a Christian. I haven't done anything great in the world of business. I haven't written a book or contributed to society in a great (or even small for that matter) way.

So what are some things that I would like to do before I'm too old to move, before all I have left are memories? When I look back on my life what memories do I want to be stored in my mind to pull out and enjoy? I enjoy making lists so here is an attempt at my bucket list. I'm sure it will change many times over the months and years, but here is the one I'm making now.


Own a business again - preferably a bookstore
Learn to ride a motorcycle -w/out dying of fright
Go visit the states I've never been to
Travel to other countries
Finish my degree
Write a book - I'll settle for my blog being good enough to read
Get into photography
Own a sports car - metallic grey
Learn another language (Spanish or ASL)
Take dance lessons

I know that right now the most important job I have is to be a great mom to my kids. But someday that job will be over and I want to "be" something else too. I'm probably lamenting the same song that countless moms before me have sung amidst the diapers, toys, laundry and dishes of their lives. But this is MY life and I want to be or do something someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment