Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Peace at Home

I mentioned earlier about following a blog Women Living Well.
She will frequently have what she calls challenges.
Here is the first challenge for Making Your Home a Haven.

Go buy an extra large candle and light a candle everyday in your home. I will be starting mine in the morning! But you can start yours at dinner time. Do what makes sense for your family. I will be placing mine in the kitchen - the main hub of my home. Each time the candle catches your eye, say a prayer for peace in your home.

I know that I'm already doing the marriage challenge, but this one is easy and sounded like something my home could use. Often I find myself getting frustrated with my children because they aren't paying attention, are making a mess, etc. It's only the 2nd day that I've had my candle sitting on the island, but I've noticed that it brings the issue to my mind more. It also helps to remind me when I'm about to get super frustrated because my children have just unloaded the entirety of their dressers onto the floor or pulled all 100+ cassette tapes out of the goodwill box and left them all over the house. Having something sitting in sight reminds me to take a breath and remember that they are only children and it must have been so much fun making that mess. 
It also helps me not to worry. This seems to be a part of having peace for me. I'm a worry wart and since worrying doesn't ever help the situation I've been working on it. 
 
On another note, I've been getting up at 6am with Jon every morning. He doesn't wake up mentally until about 9am so it isn't for more conversation. =) It's so that my whole day starts out on a better note. While living in NC I would sleep until the kids woke me up. Then it was a rush to get out the door or accomplish the many things on my list. If I'm awake before the kids wake up I can be completely ready for my day by the time Jon leaves for work and then I can curl up in my library chair and have my devotions. Silly me was surprised by how much better my mornings were after this change. It's also inspired me to go to bed early. I'm just too tired to stay awake. =) 
 
 The chair is super comfortable and while the area around it is still messy the view from the front window is peaceful and I've been able to concentrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment