Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Favorite Books in 2012

Last month a friend asked a question on Facebook. 
"What were your favorite books in 2012?"
I reviewed 184 books last year according to the blog. But I know that I read quite a few more than that. At best count I'm at 247. But I might have forgotten some.

It is incredibly hard to pick which books were my favorites. So here is a list. It isn't in any order, because I'm still not sure which one is my top favorite.

This little look back has also opened my eyes to something. I have several shelves of books that I'm waiting until I have more time to read. So I'm going to cut back on my reviewing a bit so I can read more for pleasure. Because most of these are books I've reviewed for other people. And while I find some amazing books that way, I also want to read the ones already on my shelves.

My list of favorite books in 2012

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail
Extremely well written and entertaining while still informative.
Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
Inspiring, maybe in part because I'm a runner.
But written well enough to entertain even a non-runner.
Be Still My Soul (The Cadence of Grace #1)
Loved the writing style and imagery. 
The message of forgiveness was beautiful.
Anything: The Prayer That Unlocked My God and My Soul
This book knocked me for a loop. I can't urge you enough to read this.
Convicting, inspiring and amazing!
Cellar Doors

Crazy scary and thought provoking.
Island of Secrets
So well written that I enjoyed a fantasy. 
Not something I thought would ever happen.
A Heart Like His: Intimate Reflections on the Life of David
Thought provoking and inspiring.
The Baker's Daughter 
 A war-torn novel that didn't leave me sad and depressed.
Wife 22
Funny and entertaining. Also made me think about my marriage.
The Maid of Fairbourne Hall
Entertaining and light.  
I think it made the list because the plot was so fun.

If you want to read the whole review head over to my review blog and check them out.
What surprised me was how many non-fiction made the list. If asked, I would have said that I definitely prefer fiction. Maybe I need to rethink that answer.

1 comment:

  1. You read A LOT of books. You're my book hero. =) I'm adding more books to my "to read" list from here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete