Thursday, September 3, 2015

Depression

I've written several posts on my blog about depression and the effects it has on me. There are a ton more in the drafts that I never published. So I thought I'd post an update. 

For some reason I don't like talking about this. It's one thing to speak vaguely of it, it's another to be personal. But for the sake of anyone reading this who might have similar problems, I have to share.

A couple of months ago, my depression became bad enough that it scared me. I spoke with a dear friend who talked me into seeing the doctor. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I still don't know why, but it was.

My doctor is great and was understanding and compassionate. She worked with me and put me on some medication to get me back to normal again. Long story short - my allergy medicine was the main culprit and now that I've quit taking all allergy meds, the medicine has been able to get me back to my normal self again. I haven't felt this good or normal in over 5 years. I know, based on my past, that I will probably always deal with depression. But now I can handle it, and I have help.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. Don't be afraid to try something new if the old isn't working. And check random weird things that might explain why you suddenly feel different. Even allergy medicine can cause depression in some people.

No comments:

Post a Comment