Monday, October 18, 2010

Making Your Home a Haven - Part 3

Here's week #3's Challenge: List a few of the spots in your home that make you visually stressed because of all the clutter. Now go buy something for that spot - like a basket to put it all in! Work on cleaning up clutter. Throw things away. While you're at it - clean up some clutter in your spiritual life. What gets in the way of your peace spiritually? 

I've been getting Fly Lady emails since I joined her website right after we moved. I'm a terrible procrastinator and so am not a very good housekeeper. And yet I also really, really hate dirt and clutter. I needed someone to hold me accountable. This has been a lifesaver. 
So this challenge was very easy for me.

When we moved into the house we carefully went through each box and as we pulled something out we put it away, trashed it or put it in a box to be donated. They know me by name at the local Goodwill now. But it's so refreshing to have only the things we will need. And since this house is larger and has more storage it is so much easier to keep everything in it's place.
It didn't take long before we knew what spots would be the worst in our new house. I had assumed it would be the island. But we eat every meal there and so it makes it a bit difficult to keep clutter there. Which means that it gravitates to the opposite counter and the computer area. Also keeping two lap tops, portable dvd player, chargers, etc. looking neat is difficult.
A coworker made this basket for my birthday one year. It's perfect for keeping chargers and computer cords in.
Right after we moved in I purchased these two boxes on clearance. We had tons of brochures, maps and fliers for places we want to visit that are close by. But it was hard to even find them all piled with everything else on the counter. So the first box is being used for our adventures. I haven't put anything into the second box yet. Still working on that.
The "shelves" are used for things to be filed, bills to be paid, and the kid's scrap paper. As you can see, they are over flowing.
  
Keeps pens, pencils and scissors handy.
 My calender is for EVERYTHING the family has going on. The bulletin board has the list of books to return to the library, some business cards and my menu for the month complete with grocery lists. My type-A is VERY proud of this. =) It also helps my family know what is going on or being cooked even if I'm not here.


As far as the spiritual aspect - 
I'm having a really hard time with patience. I hate waiting on my family members to fulfill my requests and I get very impatient when they are slow to realize my vision of how something is supposed to be.
I've been praying for patience so I can be at peace with my family regardless of how slow they might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment