Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Christine Update

Christine is in ICU now. I just came from seeing her. She is responsive but groggy. She is in pain and indicated that she is in a lot of pain and has a headache she rated at a 5 from 1 to 10. But they just gave her phentenyl (a narcotic) so that should help. Shelly is in with her and she may be able to spend the night with her. It is difficult for me to see her. I want to be there for her but I hate seeing her in the condition she is in. I want to relieve her but can’t. I worry and stress when she is uncomfortable or in pain and I think Shelly can handle it better than me. I am so thankful for Carol, Kerry and Linda, and Shelly being here for her and me. It has been a tremendous support.

She has some significant weakness on her right side but the doctor said that it was already improving from what it was immediately after the surgery. She can squeeze your hand with her right hand and move her foot some but it is very weak. She cannot hold her leg up but they believe this will be temporary they just don’t have any idea exactly how long it will take for her to recover these functions. At least she can move so it is not paralyzed! God is good.

The main concern (from my point of view not the doctors) is that her speech is compromised. When I first arrived she did not speak and when the Dr. asked her to say her name she only mouthed something. But he said it was a good sign that she mouthed the words. After being with her some time she could say yes and no with difficulty. She even said what time it was. (5:05) so it is very promising. The whole brain has been traumatized and it may take time to regain normal function. She manifested her same spunky spirit and that is encouraging. She us just in a lot of pain.

The location and size of the tumor (almost tennis ball sized) is a significant surgery. They plan to do an post-op MRI tonight or tomorrow (I hope tomorrow as she needs to rest). They will compare with the other MRI to see if they got everything they were trying to get or if any of the tumor is left. Pray that got everything. I don’t know what they will do if they say they missed something.

The OB came by in ICU and said the Baby was fine. There is a slightly higher risk of miscarriage immediately after any operation. Pray for no complications. It would be emotionally and probably physically devastating to her as she is recovering to lose the child now. Pray for its continued viability.

Thank you for your prayers and comments. I can’t wait to share them with her.


Rob Neall

No comments:

Post a Comment