Sunday, September 7, 2014

Running forever!

This picture has absolutely nothing to do with the post below. I just like it. =)

My dad is awesome!
Last night he arrived at my house so he could be ready for our adventure in the morning. And by morning, I mean just barely.

This morning at 2am we woke up and quickly got ready to hit the road. My goal was to run a 50k (31 miles). I knew that weather would play a huge part in making or breaking my goal. It was about 70 and a little humid, but not bad. Definitely better than the 78 from the other morning.

It's still hard for me to comprehend that a person can put their body through so much and not die at the end. But it's especially mind blowing that I can do that. I'm not well known for my strength or love of pain. I'm rather a wimp about difficult things. 

When I hit the 26.2 miles I felt amazing. I had really been downing the water and eating my jellies (energy jelly beans) so I'm sure that helped. It was also a really major thing to have my dad there running beside me. Some how it was a huge psychological boost.

When I hit the marathon mark we were about 4 1/2 miles from home. So I knew with a slight adjustment to the route we were going to make the 50k. About that time I got a horrific cramp in my left leg. I've never had this type of cramp before in my life. It was awful. Thankfully it came and went so I was able to get some relief. But not to long after my knee quit. Not sure if it had to do with the cramp or not, but I walked quite a bit. I'd run until I was done in with the knee pain. Then I'd walk until it eased off and start again. But we made it home. 

I don't like to post my times. I'm super slow and seeing it in writing is a bit painful at times. But for the sake of wow - my time was 6:34:11 That is 6 1/2 hours! I honestly can't believe a human body can do that. But then I'm reminded of my two cousins who hope to finish the Ironman this month in approx 12 hours. The human body is astounding!

No comments:

Post a Comment